Saturday, 5 April 2014

Butterick 5955

Butterick 5955 very loose fitting top

One pattern, two very different looks.I bought this pattern because I thought it would be great to use up all those remnants and left over bits and pieces of woven fabrics that I have hanging about.

So far I have made it twice - both times with knits. Still stash busting,but this pattern is designed for wovens- Oh well, what ever. With such a simple pattern I thought it was a great opportunity to make a few creative mixes of fabric, which is so trendy right now.

Here are my fabric choices . One is a gorgeous ,delicious velvet burnout and a very fine, dotted, low stretch net. Both of these I purchased from the Sewing Workshop booth when the Stitch Expo was in town. I noticed an edge finish she used, involving a thin 1/4" braid. I happen have some similar in my stash, so I'll give it a whirl. That's why I love going to trade shows - I always learn something new!
I applied the trim by laying it on the fabric about a half inch from the edge,and straight stitched. Do not stretch your fabric. Then I folded the the fabric to the back and straight stitched again. Stopping and starting at an inconspicuous spot- then do a little zig zag to lock it in place. Then carefully trim away the excess on the back, close to stitching. It turned out flawless.
For the second version I chose a boring grey Lycra jersey, and added black stretch lace for the back yoke.

Still boring. Then I get an idea- lately I have been liking all the writing and graffiti on everything...

So I got out my Shiva Paintsticks and stencils and got busy playing.

This is what I've got so far.
Rather then just random words or letters I thought I would use inspirational words and phrases that have meaning to me. I toyed with the idea of putting a zipper down the front but didn't like how it looked with the v neck, I would have to pre plan that- maybe round out the neck line. In fact I think I will do that on another version in a heavier fabric. I do think if I make this In a woven I will grade down a size or two, it is very loose fitting, I think it will be too billowy if I don't.
I don't remember what the instructions are for the neckline finish, I just know I didn't like them. So I've decided to use a 2" binding,folded in half, stitched to the outside then flipped up. Then I will sew up the front seam.
I was at the West Edmonton mall today and I saw this top in a store. I really like the zipper neckline and thought it might make a nice finish for this top in one of my next versions of it.

Well that's all I have for today. My graffiti top won't be finished for a few days.

 

Post a Comment