Wednesday 26 November 2014

Kimono - take two

My first take on NEWLOOK 6072 turned out rather sleepwear-ish. Nice but big yawn! See it here.Then one day, while minding my own business, picking up some elastic- I found this beautiful drapey velvet burnout. Done! But there was nothing I liked in the whole 10 thousand square foot store for the contrast!!! This time I was for sure going to avoid anything satin. I was so psyched when I got home, I tore through my boxes of black and found the perfect piece of black crushed velvet. Circa 1989- thank you 80's.
I guessedimated the quantity of fringe I needed and wound up haveing 1 1/2 inches left over- whew. This was not included on the pattern, I have been collecting inspiration kimono photos from Polyvore for a while and I knew I wanted 5 inch fringe.
I altered the front hemline of the NEWLOOK pattern by rounding off the corners, kinda the high/low thing. I think it worked out well.

 

I needed a top to wear under it and had picked up McCalls 6960 in the summer, perfect shape. I used view C for the front and view B for the back. This pattern called for a woven but I went out on a limb and used a bamboo/Lycra knit. I made a small and it is kinda huge. Is it just me or is pattern sizing just a crap shoot!!!!! The next time I make it I will cut the extra small. I'm sure even in a woven it will be ample in size.
Because 6960 was a woven it had all sorts of facings which I omitted and switched to 1 1/2" bindings. I pressed narrow strips of woven interfacing to the neck and armholes to help stabilize them and then stitched in the ditch from the outside with my whatchamacallit in the ditch foot and they turned out great.

 

Huge , but wearable/bearable. I love it when things go my way, I know I will wear this combo to death. Already on the hunt for more great fabric to make this again, maybe in a chiffon?I finished the bottom hem with a 3 thread overlock turned up and top stitched without stretching it. A very professional look, and I'm too lazy to set up my cover stitch.

Thanks for stopping by. Please feel free to comment.

 

No comments: