Here's how I'm working this out. I started with a washed linen /cotton blend base fabric - then playing with ink and stamps and mark making stuff, I set to work experimenting.
A brush, numbers stamp set, and a toy tractor wheel with some Ranger archival ink ought to do it. It needed some colour so I did some free motion stitching with red thread.
I probably should have waited 24 hour for the ink to dry and then heat set it with a hot iron....but no... I just proceeded to work with wet ink...
I wound up with this. After I cut out my patches , I thought they were too natural and organic looking next to the nylon.
Then after doing this to 20 some odd pieces I re worked them again with free motion stitching around some of the numbers and/or layering more bits and pieces to them. I could have stayed here for weeks , just playing with this process, but I'm going to need a coat for spring!
On Marcy's coat the patches were overlocked on all sides. I opted to free motion stitch/appliqué them onto the garment and leave the edges deconstructed. They might fray a bit which is great, but with the Misty Fuse and organza the raw edges should stay put.
There is still time to re work the patches if nessasary before I put the lining in. The lining I'm using is a microfiber twill with horizontal stretch. I picked this up at Value Village and considered making the coat out of it but some how it's a bit dated yet still perfect for a warm lining without too much weight. Making the lining has been a challange because I've been mixing the two views together. I didn't have enough of the lining so I had to piece the back section. No one will know the diff, but it was a pain. The lining is heavier then the nylon coat, with stretch, which created a few issues at the hem facing, as the the coat is bottom heavy already. I've had to hand stitch the hem. If I were to make it again- and I won't -I would just make my lining by copying the coat pattern and bagging it. I also should have shortened it before I started but I am lazy and there were a million pieces.
I'm contemplating making a detachable hood for it in the black nylon,I don't think this pattern is in print any longer but that is the hood idea I will use.Because what's the point of a rain coat in B.C. without a hood?!
Here is My progress so far. The back view.
Front view. Making my patches was the fun part. I have picked out black mismatched vintage buttons, which I have pinned on for perspective. Now I'm thinking it looks a lot clownish. Snaps in a smaller scale, will be a better option I think. Or smaller buttons perhaps???? Because I really wanted to have a red buttonhole or two! Or maybe cream colored buttons?
Well I'm not going to lie. This coat has been a difficult sew for me. Not that there is anything wrong with the pattern. I think my fabric choices- mixing woven and stretch. And I think I didn't pick the right lining view to cut. However I'm taking it slow and doing lots of hand stitching in order to ease and fit it altogether. I know it will work out in the end. My hand stitching is good,almost invisible. A few other things that I could have done differently- the patches are a bit too high contrast- hence the clown look. (I just like that word - hence! ) And I could have varied the sizes of the patches more. This is going to be one of those garments people will either love or hate. Fortunately for me, I will love how funky and a little weird (possibly clownish) it will be!
Wonderfil. A Canadian company. Yeah Canada!!! Check out the link. The site has lots of videos and goodies to marvel at. I have a huge assortment of the decorative threads- luv, luv them. My point is; this thread makes your stitches invisible, whereas some threads are just big and chunky and makes everything look home made instead of hand made.
Now I need to start on my detachable hood. And I think this is where I will get to make some red buttonholes. Yippee!
To be continued....
Thanks for stopping by.