Wednesday, 24 February 2016

UFO sewing,Burda 6855 again,recycle, sewing sideways and inspiration. All in one!

Burda 6855 again was almost bound to be another UFO but I gathered up the will and somehow got them done. I'm so glad I did. They fit perfect and I know I will wear them often.
Okay- things got so out of control in the sewing room, I couldn't even find my cutting table! Every time I wanted to work on some thing I had to move my cutting mat off the table which was piled high with this project. All the prep work was done, I just had to hunker down. It just seemed too daunting. All that top stitching and a zip and rivets......bla! When in the beginning I had so much enthusiasm.
I had been inspired by this lady's pair of pants. I snapped a pic when she was heading out the door of my fave fabric store- Fabricana. What I liked was the camo fabric mixed with denim.
 
I had a pair of Miss Me camo linen shorts that I wore for years.... I loved them but some how they grew about 4 sizes to small for me and yet I still could not bare to throw them out. I knew I wanted to recycle them so this was my new brain wave.

I've made this pattern a few times so I knew it would fit. I used a medium/heavy weight stretch denim that I've had for eons. The camo shorts were mostly pockets and the larger portions were quite thread bare so I had to settle for small details with the linen.

I added a strip to one back pocket and used a fancy stitch to applique it on.

 

Lola motivated me by keeping a watchful eye on things.

 

It's difficult to make perfect top stitching when she has to sit on everything while I'm working....wouldn't have it any other way!

As I mentioned there was not a lot of fabric. I really wanted a camo cuff like my inspiration lady's. No such luck. What I did manage was to cover up the white serger thread on the roll ups.

I had already sewn up the legs and top stitched at this point, so how was I going to do this? Then I remembered I had this sideways sewing ( multi directional) feature on my machine. Bingo! That worked well.
I Camoed a few random belt loops with fancy stitching. And added a useless decorative tab to one pocket,
.

Popped on a few rivets while watching the Grammys.

Snap closure. Done.

Additions- I added a non stretch tummy panel. Helps to hold it in. I used 1/4 inch seam allowances on the waist band to make it wider.
The only things I wished I would have done was two rows of top stitching on the back pockets and added a coin pocket with rivets to the front. Now I'm just being lazy.
Jeans can be hard work but worth it in the end. This project felt very rewarding.
 
Thanks for stopping by.
Maureen.

 

Post a Comment