Monday 30 March 2015

LoriAnne tunic 5910

This is one of the indie patterns I picked up a Expo this year. I had such high hopes for a nice semi-fitted woven tunic. Sorry LoriAnne, this one has left me still hoping. It didn't look anything like the pattern envelope when I was finished!

Despite my disappointment with this pattern, I still managed to produce a wearable little top. I used a linen, pre washed, and stenciled on it using Lumiere paint by Jacquard in a metallic grey. The stencil is from The Crafters workshop.

 

I originally made the first view-In a black voile burnout. It stitched up okay but it was a square box with no style what so ever. I didn't even waste a digital picture on it.

Next I tried the second view- the one with the princess seams. The line drawing and the fashion sketch on the envelope, clearly shows a garment with a shapely waist indentation and a longer, slimmer silhouette. Nope , square , boxy/short, shapeless. Is it just me? Tunics are supposed to be on the longer side, Right? Well what ever - I gave both views a try and I'll give both of them a thumbs down. I made my usual size 10 and I don't usually have many fitting issues. I think it's just a shapeless pattern. Maybe if there had been a photo of a real garment on a real person I could have made a better decision on which pattern to purchase.


From below the arm and down the entire length I removed 4" from both sides. The bust point fit perfectly. There were side slits but I closed them up. To give it a little bit of a currant look, I gave the bottom with a gentle hi/ low hemline, without removing any length from the back as it was short enough already.

Yes, I could have shaped in the princess seams a little but they were already topstitched. And besides, it was not supposed to be a tight fitting bodice, it was supposed to have a hint of shape!

I don't like to give bad reviews. I'm sure it's just that this is not the pattern for me. LoriAnne had some other styles that looked really nice and one day I might give them another try. But for now I can find lots of other things to make that actually fit without reinventing the fly wheel.

Has anyone else tried her pattern? Any success? Let me know.

Thanks for stopping by.

Maureen

 

No comments: