Tuesday 16 December 2014

MAKE IT SEW - A gift for a GEEK!

My brother is so hard to shop for for Christmas. And this year I have really been at a loss for him. Then I remembered he sent me a picture a few years back of a Star Trek house coat. Well brother - guess what you're getting this year!


Fabricland only had the red and black in a fleece so he will have to be Scotty/Operations/Commander from the original series (TOS). But......Captain Picard , or Jean- Luc as I like to call him wears a red uniform, in The Next Generation (TNG).
I think he is really handsome !!!
Here I'd like to think he is winking at me- personally!!!........
And I'm pretty sure I am a bigger GEEK then my brother! I love Star Trek - in all its incarnations. I just might make one for the entire family. We all love Star Trek. In fact when my other brother gets wind of this he is going to want me to make him one too. But his B-day is in February so he will have to wait!!

T'is the season -all the men's bathrobe patterns were out of stock,so I had to spend about 4 hours looking through my Burda magazines to find a robe appropriate for this. I finally found it in issue 10-2003-138. It's a very simple pattern and it clearly took me longer to find the pattern then to make it. I found one review on the Pattern Review - it was beautiful - the only complaint was it was too big, probably due to the unisex sizing. This, however worked to my advantage,I made the XL without the back insert, as my brother is a man of size in a wide sort of way, not the tall way. Kinda like a square:) I will skip the inseam pockets and switch them to patch pockets.
The Star Fleet insignia appliqué I embroidered years ago. I had one left over from when I made my guys all hoodies. You should never throw anything out- this is why it is called a STASH. You stash things away until you need them right!?
I couldn't find the right braid for the job, plain rick-rack was not going to cut it. I decided to twist 2 pieces together and come up with a more "official" looking trim. Once pressed, it holds the shape rather nicely. This will go around the sleeve cuffs and indicates rank.
The only problems I can foresee,is it might be too long, that's an easy fix. And the sleeves might be too short in which case I will add black cuffs. I will make another post when the robe is finished. He might even model it for me!(Of course Lola never misses an opportunity for a photo bomb.)
Stay tuned. This is all for now.
In the immortal words of Captain Picard "Make it sew"
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: